This page answers questions like these:
- How to defragment a tablespace?
- How to defrag a tablespace?
- How to coalesce a tablespace?
- How to free-up space in a tablespace?
Defragment a Tablespace:
ALTER TABLESPACE TABLESPACE COALESCE;
- This will defragment the tablespace named TABLESPACE.
- Over time, if you create and drop database objects, and/or insert and delete records, the usage of a tablespace will become fragmented. Between any two used fragments there will be an unused fragment. This command will “coalesce” the used fragments into a single chunk, thus freeing-up the unused fragments.
- Cons: You need DBA privileges to execute this command. Sometimes there will be no increase in available space because the tablespace was not sufficiently fragmented in the first place.
Oracle Date and/or Time in Seconds
Oracle Time in Microseconds
What Oracle Version do I Have?
INSERT INTO ... SELECT * FROM ...
Home > Oracle > Defragment Tablespace
Tags: oracle defragment tablespace, defragment tablespace, coalesce tablespace, oracle database, oracle, database